Monday, May 17, 2010

Re: (delhibirdpix) Indian Nightjar (Caprimulgus asiaticus)

Hi

To be honest, I wouldn't trust myself with the ID of nightjars based on physical features. I am attaching a copy of the call (>200 kb, unfortunately) - which was the only thing I based my ID upon.

Of course, the birds making the call and the one photographed here may not be the same.

I have to admit though, the other individuals I have seen since are a lot more vibrant in coloration and much less grey/dull. Anyone else think it's Savanna?

- Ramit

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Dr. Vaibhav <drvaibhav@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Ramit
This looks like Savana Nightjar to me.
Dr. Vaibhav

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Ramit Singal <ramitsingal@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

I heard the calls of the Indian Nightjar about 15 days ago at a spot about 5-10 minutes away from my hostel block. Ever since, I have been trying to find one of them on the ground (relying on luck, light, playback) but have failed to return back with anything but sightings of a few (flushed, mostly) Nightjars in their moth-like flights and umpteen recordings of the chuk-chuk-chuk-churrrr calls.



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "delhibirdpix" group.
To post to this group, send email to delhibirdpix@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to delhibirdpix+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/delhibirdpix?hl=en.

No comments: