Thursday, July 22, 2010

[BirdPhotoIndia] Common Babbler - Feeding on a Cocoon.

Common Name: Common Babbler
 
Species Name: Turdoides caudata
 
Date taken: 22.07.2010
 
Location: Bilaspur,Chhattisgarh
 
Equipments: Nikon D90 + Nikkor 70-300 mm VR Zoom
 
Special Remarks: The following is the sequence of events that I saw unfolding before my eyes today morning.                           
                            Noticing a flurry of activity in a nearby tree, I spotted this Common Babbler moving its beak very vigourously against one of the branches (I.) 
                            Looking through my camera's viewfinder, I was surprised to see that the bird was repeatedly pecking at a cocoon (II.)
                            Within the next minute and a half, the Babbler had pried the cocoon open with its beak and begun to enjoy its early morning snack.(III. & IV.)
Though Common Babblers are primarily insectivorous,I haven't come across any reference of their feeding on pupae. However, I could find documentation of other birds known to feed from cocoons, namely Red-Breasted Parakeets (Psittacula alexandri), Black-naped Oriole (Oriolus chinensis), Common Hoopoe (Upupa epops) etc. Any additional insight and information is welcome.

Regards,
Dr. Shrutidev  Mishra
Bilaspur,Chhattisgarh.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Bird Photography India" group.
To post to this group, send email to birdphotoindia@googlegroups.com

No comments: