Saturday, October 18, 2014

(delhibirdpix) Western Crowned Warbler

Hi,

I was just strolling my lawn this afternoon when some rather unusual calls caught my attention. I saw that there was a pair of odd looking leaf warblers on a nearby neem tree.

I grabbed my camera and tried clicking some shots from my terrace. The low light made focusing difficult and the active nature of these warblers did not help. But I still managed some record shots that confirm the birds as Western Crowned Warblers. The following ID pointers help separate it from the similar Greenish Warbler:

1)More prominent yellowish supercilium
2)Grey crown with a prominent crown stripe
3)Completely orange lower mandible
4)No yellow tinge on underparts
5)Very different call

The Western Crowned Warbler is a scarce passage migrant through Delhi and NCR. It also happens to be a lifer for me.

Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, 18 October, 2014
Udiyaman

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "delhibirdpix" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to delhibirdpix+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to delhibirdpix@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/delhibirdpix.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: