Monday, April 5, 2010

[BirdPhotoIndia] Shantiniketan Birds-1

Hi
a  short  weekend trip  to Shantiniketan yielded an astonishing variety of birds. The Sal and Shonajhoori forests and the huge lakes provide a safe refuge to a multitude of bird species. I had never thought that I could spot as many as 25 uncommon species in a two days' birding trip to a place which is not well-known for birds. 
Sending the picture of a marvellous Purple Swamphen or Moorhen (Porphyrio porphyrio)(my lifer) shot at the Lake No.3 of Ballavpur Wildlife Sanctuary.
The Park opens at 10 am, and so I had to take special permission from the forest office to go for birding at 7am.
Forest warden Mr. Nityananda Mukherjee accompanied me during the 3 hours birding inside the Sanctuary. This polite and down-to-earth person also took a lot of interest in birds, and told me a lot of things about the Park and its wildlife. I would remain grateful to Mr.Mukherjee for spending a few hours with me. 
I will  share my Shantiniketan birding experience with you all soon.
 The Purple Moorhen was just one of the various interesting species that I spotted in and around Shantiniketan.
 I really  dont  know how i  took this pic of an otherwise timid and shy bird that flies way at the slightest disturbance. I failed in all my previous attempts, and finally I took some pics of this beauty from a distance of few metres..on the shores of lake No.3.
Quite surprisingly this pair of Purple Moorhens allowed me to take some really nice snaps.
Or perhaps they might have thought I was one of their kind..as I was wearing a Purplish T-shirt.
Will  post other pics of this bird soon.
 
regards
Shantanu.

 



The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Bird Photography India" group.
To post to this group, send email to birdphotoindia@googlegroups.com

No comments: