Tuesday, April 6, 2010

(delhibirdpix) Indigo Jewel

Hi
During  my two  days  stay at Shantiniketan, I tried to utilize the cool  morning hours for birdwatching, as the temperature soared above 40 degrees after 10am.
 
I  came to know from the driver that there is a large patch of untouched Sal forest at Illambazar , a few kms  away from Shantiniketan. And the  speciality of this forest is that, here the Sal trees grow on alluvial soil. I just couldnt wait to explore this pristine forest belt.
Saturday morning I rushed to illambazar  and  was thrilled the see the greenery amidst the otherwise arid landscape. While roaming in these forests I found this tiny Blue-throated Flycatcher, that flitted from tree to tree. It was of the size of a Sunbird.The bird was very restless and it took me about 10 minutes to get this snap of the bird, when it finally settled inside a low bush.....emitting a sweet  chrrrrr....chhhrrrrrr  call.
It was a  lifer for me...
 
Renowned Bengali Birdwatcher Mr.Ajoy Home mentioned in his well-known "Banglar Paakhi" book that he fell in love with this tiny beauty when he first saw it......I realised that he was very much true.....this small indigo-blue bird is certainly admirable....
 
regards
Shantanu.


The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "delhibirdpix" group.
To post to this group, send email to delhibirdpix@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to delhibirdpix+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/delhibirdpix?hl=en.

No comments: