Thursday, October 28, 2010

[BirdPhotoIndia] Bird of the trip

Hi folks,
Just returned from a lovely birding trip to the North Bengal hills and
forests...
Here's my star-bird of the trip, and its a lifer for me..

After the adventurous hill-treks in Buxa hills and the exciting
elephant-ride at Jaldapara WLS, my two colleagues and their families
decided to visit Phuntusholing town on 27th October. I was not willing
to go with them, as i had been to this city twice. So I decided to go
for birding in the Lonkapara forests, along the banks of the mighty
Torsa river. It is a reserve forest area of Jaldapara Wildlife
Sanctuary.
I hired a birdwatching guide from Madarihat town, and we drove to the
lovely Lonkapara Reserve forest after taking the permit from the
nearby forest office. Mr.Saha, the Manager of my resort helped me a
lot.
It was 630AM. We got down from our car and was walking along the
forest trail. The Torsa river was flowing on our right. The entire
forest was alive with bird calls.
I got some lovely shots of many typical north bengal forest birds.
The guide showed me the footprints of bisons, and told me it was an
important bison habitat. So we had to be extremely cautious.
Suddenly I chanced upon a small shrike-like bird perched on the branch
of a tree. I advanced closer to the bird and discovered that it was
the Collared Falconet- the bird I was longing to see. I could never
spot this magnificent raptor during my earlier trips to north-bengal
forests.
So I consider this species as the Star Bird of my trip.
The falconet was diving for air-borne insects from its perch, and
coming back to the some spot. The beauty of this tiny predator is
really praise-worthy.

regards
Shantanu :)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Bird Photography India" group.
To post to this group, send email to birdphotoindia@googlegroups.com

No comments: