Thursday, October 28, 2010

[BirdPhotoIndia] The Story Of An Intelligent Bird

Hi,
     One afternoon in Kewzing , South Sikkim, I observed this White-tailed Nuthatch to be very busy carrying something in its bill. At first, from its shape, I thought it to be an egg but now I presume that it was a nut that made the nuthatch a little bit nutty! The nuthatch was keeping it here and there and looked very choosy in selecting the right place.In my first shot the nut was there in its bill and in the next the bird was hiding it carefully in a crevice on a moss-laden branch. At the very next moment, the nuthatch picked it up from that place to put it elsewhere. At first , I thought the bird was storing food for the coming winter months like the squirrels but later it occurred to me that the bird was selecting a suitable socket to put the nut so that the bird could easily hammer it open!
I read about this in a book written by Mr. Salim Ali but that I would be an witness to this crazily interesting behaviour of a nuthatch was beyond my imagination!
This was shot on 21st of Oct,2010. As I have large file size, I am sending the images in two different posts. Kindly excuse the poor image quality!
Cheers!
Maitreyee   

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Bird Photography India" group.
To post to this group, send email to birdphotoindia@googlegroups.com

No comments: