Saturday, May 7, 2011

[BirdPhotoIndia] Urban Birding - Kolkata

Hi everyone,

I usually do my nature forays in my neighborhood. Patuli, Kolkata is still a bit green with open spaces and water bodies and a bird or two (besides Crows, Kites and Sparrows and Mynahs) are seen.

Yet, despite high pollution, noise and congestion, the City per se does seem to house birds- of quite decent variety. The best part is that they turn up frequently when you expect them least! Coppersmiths in Naktala, Orioles in the SSKM Hospital Campus and Blue Throated Barbets in Mandeville Gardens are cases to point. None are uncommon or rare, but seeing or hearing them in the middle of the city does come as a very pleasing package.

Today, at around 1730 hours, I was waiting outside my daughter's tutor's residence next to Tirthapati Institution on Rashbehari Avenue (opposite Deshapriya Park). A female Fulvous Breasted Woodpecker spent the better part of 15 minutes not 6-7 feet away at eye level, merrily pecking away on a tree trunk. Despite pedestrians and traffic on the thoroughfare, for her, it seemed to be, business as usual. 
Part of me missed my camera, but part of me felt good. It was, for a change, nice and relaxing, just to watch and not bother about ISO, Shutter speed and f stops.

Did click a couple but with the mobile phone.

Arijit



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Bird Photography India" group.

No comments: