Wednesday, January 28, 2015

(delhibirdpix) The Migratory Birds of Prey - # 19.03 - Barbary Falcon [Falco (peregrines) pelegrinoides) - 2015-017

The Recently found Wetland continues to delight though not without concerns.
Let me get on with the delights - concerns for another day.

As a Birder, I am happy if I get to see one of my favourite birds (beyond Sarus, of course)
- any Raptor up, close and personal.  More delight, when the Bird poses for you, taunts
at you.

This is what happened yesterday.  Day opened nice and bright. Then, decided to head 
out to the new Wetland.  Birding did not begin nicely - just about a few birds, none of the
rather scarce ones and then the wetland was disturbed by a group of five who did claim
to be owners and with a right to fish and to collect whatever aqua-life was there. They pulled 
out the nets and collected whatever they could but then left rather quickly.

Then the light too faded all of a sudden - a cloud covering the Sun that did enhance the
light quality for taking images.

But fun was yet to come.  As I made another round looking for Raptors, found sitting far
away a small Bird - thought Peregrine and continued to think so till I looked at the processed
images and then - lo and behold - it was a Barbary Falcon, my only second sighting and
the first when I could photograph to my heart's content. Thanks Bill, Adesh and Pikesh
for confirmation of ID.

As is my wont, approached it with caution and gradually just about a half roll of tyres.
It is a smart bird but kept a watch on me - I could see through peripheral vision as I did
not want to make eye contact till I was in position.  Then the clicks were on. Satisfied ?
Not fully.  As i was taking out the Tele-convertor for a closer-up frame, it took off. Did
not feel fully 'content'. Kept eyes on it but soon it disappeared. The young eyes of Yogesh 
too lost contact.

More fun  less than five minutes later.  Young Eyes located the bird on the ground
a half a KM away and it looked it had a prey.  Indeed it did and was devouring it.
Poor Asian Pied Starling. Approached again, this time with more caution and the 
TC mounted for a 'fuller frame' and 'a video'.

Smart Bird - noticed me and then its taunts started.  It picked up the starling and
showed me 'the helplessness' of the bird (I think it was alive till then), then it tore
into it and the devouring started.  It taunted me again. Showed the Starling in full
view.  Images would follow.

The pleasure doubled when a Greater Spotted Eagle came sat down not foo
far away but by that time the Starling was gone and so was the Barbary.

Enjoy the images (the bird looks awesome when blown to 30x30" frame) and the Video.

The Link:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGEAu1gqF48

Cheers.


Anand Arya
353, Sector 15A
NOIDA 201301
INDIA
+ 91 98182 61909
www.anandarya.com
www.okhlabirdpark.com
"This is a copyrighted image. Not to be used for any purpose without prior permission."
Canon 1D M4 + 800mm + 1.4 TC


No comments: