Saturday, July 25, 2015

(delhibirdpix) A lovely Lifer

An Inclement weather....a Disaster and finally a Lifer---

Visited the Rajarhat wetlands today morning- braving the bad weather. While walking along the edge of a marsh, suddenly the lens cap of my camera fell down in the water. I decided to get down in the waist-deep water without thinking any further, as I wud never get a new lens cap anywhere. My birder friend Anirban- da asked me not to take the risk of getting down in the water, as we had no idea how much deep the marsh was and there cud be poisonous snakes lurking in the grass. 
The entire area was covered with dense aquatic vegetation and swamp-grass. I started searching for the lens-cap with both hands, but cudnt feel anything except mud and slush. I cud feel there were also snail-shells under the water- which are sharp enough to cut my fingers. I became very worried and thought that perhaps i was searching in the wrong place. To my utter surprise, suddenly I found the cap floating on the surface of the water. Actually it seemed to me that it had sunk to the the bottom, but it was floating in water, owing to its light weight. I was so tensed that I didnt even bother to check the water-surface. Finally I managed to come out of the water but my shoes and trousers were completely drenched. I took off the wet shoes n socks and had to do birding bare-footed for the next two hours. I never had this kind of a weird experience, but the feeling of walking bare-footed on the muddy soil and wet grass was nice. But I had to be bit careful as there were dry thorns of wild plants scattered on the ground.
Thankfully I got some good birds including a Lifer - the Black-breasted Weaver- a bird that i had been searching for the past few years. 

Black-breasted Weaver (Ploceus benghalensis)
Location: Rajarhat wetlands. Kolkata.
Date: 25th July-2015
Canon 60D
Sigma 150-500mm.

Regards..........Shantanu.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "delhibirdpix" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to delhibirdpix+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to delhibirdpix@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/delhibirdpix.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments: